Thursday, January 8, 2009

Stephen King's "On Writing"- Response

I have always wanted to read this book so I'm glad I finally have the opportunity.  I have only read 2 of Stephen King's novels (several of his short stories also) but I have read a decent amount of his non fiction (like his column for Entertainment Weekly) and I have seen several of the movies made from his novels so I do feel familiar with him as a writer.  I think he has a very distinct voice.  I really enjoyed the excerpts from his childhood, I think it gives us a great window into his personality and the ability to see reasons why he became the writer he did.  I think it is also nice to see how he struggled through life just like everyone else...I think famous people are often put on a pedestal and "normal" people tend to focus on how lucky so and so is now as opposed to the circumstances they may have had to overcome to get where they are at.  I am currently in the "Toolbox" section and I really liked how he set up his point about how a writer should best equip themselves to write by relating the story of his grandfather's toolbox from his childhood.  I think King's wit is one of his best qualities.  

To finish up,  I really liked getting the opportunity to see how King developed into a writer, but I am also anxious to see what his other tips for perfecting the craft will be.  I also felt that the ending to the "C.V." section was a bit speedy, he had been talking about his life in a chronological way, going along smoothly, but then he makes a 10 year jump into the future, talks about his substance abuse, and abruptly ends that section.  It is interesting because I have felt in the past that one of my qualms with his fiction is that it often ends too abruptly; he is a wonderful storyteller and has a great ability to draw you in with his long and complicated tales but then it is almost as if he has to rush to finish up before whatever he is going on about becomes too lengthy.  I am interested in seeing how he wraps the entire book up.

No comments:

Post a Comment