Thursday, April 16, 2009

Effectiveness of Writing Tips

I wrote a paper last year in one of my writing classes about how to beat writer's block. I basically sat down and thought about all the things that inspire people and narrowed the list down to 10 things. I got an A on the paper, but it left me thinking how effective these tips can really be. I am not a real writer. I write things down when I get the inkling to do so, but I haven't invested much time or energy in developing my own writing ability. How is it, then, that I could possibly tell anyone how to overcome writer's block? Answer: I used logic. But logic doesn't always translate into effective sharpening tools. So how useful would these logical tips on writing be for an actual writer? Step 3: Step up to bat and take a few swings. What does that even mean? It explains in the text that it means you should breathe deeply, visualize, and affirm yourself. Sounds interesting (kind of), but does it work? Maybe an accomplished writer can tell me. These tips are geared towards business documents, so it's a bit different than the fiction I'm interested in, but do you really have to breathe deeply, visualize, and affirm yourself to write a business document? At least you're not spilling your heart out to an audience that just wants to be entertained. I just want to know if these tips would work in any setting, or if it is just the fluff that people like to read and print but do nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment