Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Different Take on The First Five Pages

So I may be playing Devil's Advocate in voicing this opinion, but I am going to go against what the majority of the class has been saying about Lukeman's "First Five Pages" and point to the value that Lukeman presents in his guide.

First of all, I will be honest and say that I am barely entertained by his writing.  Without a doubt, Lukeman is not my favorite author, and I say with confidence that I will most likely not be another patron of his work.  I agree with Ian's comparison of the First Five Pages and a grammar school text book.  To be entirely blunt, Noah Lukeman is a boring author.

Consider this, however.  Lukeman is writing about perhaps one of the most boring topics available.  The title of his book is "The First Five Pages:  A Writer's Guide to Staying out of the Rejection Pile".  Unlike King's "Memoir to the Craft", Lukeman doesn't propose readers with any suggestion of entertainment. What he does promise is valuable inside information, a guide for aspiring writers,  and advice that will lead to his opinion of success in the writing industry.  The majority of students in class have voiced their negative reception of the book, and I agree with the following common statements:  "I would have tossed this book if it weren't required" or "Lukeman lost my interest after the first five pages" and so on.  My question to you is this:  would you ever consider reading this book if it weren't required?  I don't think many of us would be compelled to purchase this book had it not been required - I find it hard to imagine that anyone looking for a leisurely read would choose a "Writer's Guide to Staying out of the Rejection Pile".  

So, instead of bashing on Lukeman for being dry and boring, I suggest we try a different approach to the book.  His intent is not to entertain, it is to inform, and I have found a well of useful information in his guide that I would have not been able to find elsewhere.  While Lukeman is a horrible entertainer, he is gifted in being informative and I appreciate the opportunity to learn the details of what it takes to become successful in the writing industry.  Like King mentioned somewhere in his memoir, it pays to read - even horrible, boring books. When it's all said and done, Noah Lukeman is a published author, and I am not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment