Wednesday, February 11, 2009

finding blog voice that sounds authentic

I'm struggling to be as informal as possible. I think the whole point of blogging is to write on the fly--to write your thoughts as they come. Because blogging is a conversation, I think it should be unedited, no copy & paste, no refining your words.

I think part of the problem with this format has been the idea that I'm writing for other writers. I want it to be good, something to make people think. But at the same time, I want my "blog voice" to be how I speak.

Plus with blogging, I think the tone of one post affects another. When someone writes something intensely formal, we all feel like we should do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I am also struggling in finding the right voice for the blog. If I think of blogging as writing a journal online, I would write it as informal as possible, just the way I speak. But part of the problem is that this blog is not a personal blog like a personal journal or diary. My posts tend to be formal because I try to write something that I could actually hand in as a writing assignment. I constantly switch around my voice from informal to formal. I don't think I have my "blog voice" yet.

    ReplyDelete