Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Feeds and Digests, oh my!

This may be old news to some (maybe even all) of you: RSS Feeds. Anyone who is a blog addict probably knows all about them, but as I try to keep my Internet time minimal, I had only ever seen the link for an RSS feed without giving much thought as to what it actually was. Tonight I discovered the utility of this little feature as I was perusing the list of blogs provided by David on the right hand side of this page. What is RSS? It stands for Rich Site Summary - what that has to do with anything is lost on me, but I did find that an RSS feed allows one to keep track of multiple blogs in an organized manner. How does it work? Well, with the program I used - Google Reader - I just typed in the address of the blog much as if I were adding a contact on gmail and the last several posts on the blog would appear in the window. Once I scrolled past them, they were marked as having been read. I can look at all of the most rececnt posts in all of the blogs to which I have subscribed, or I can look at them one blog at a time. My description of all this may sound poorly versed in technical vocabulary, but if anyone is looking for a way to keep track of several blogs I would highly recommend RSS feeds. Google Reader is free and easy to set up, though there are several other programs out there from what I have gathered. And, if anyone is curious, I am subscribed to Booksquare and Time to Write from David's list, as well as Zen Habits. EDIT: I just found out that many online literary magazines also offer RSS feeds.

Next item: Duotrope's Digest. This website is incredibly useful. It is basically an online version of the Writer's Market, providing abstracts, pay rates, publishing dates, etc. on an awe-inspiring range of publications, both in print and electronic. The best part is that the database, which is updated daily, is searchable based on several criteria: genre, payscale, media, awards won by the publications' authors, even whether or not electronic submissions are accepted. I spent a couple of hours on it the other night, and I was able to come away with quite a list of publications I would like to look further into. I forgot to mention that are also acceptance statistics for each publication's profile, as reported by patrons of Duotrope. As can be imagined, their presence on each profile inspires mixed feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment