Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The First Five Pages Ch 1 and On Writing

I just read the introduction to The First Five Pages and I think that the book has some good goals, it definitely piqued my interest in what Lukeman has to say on "staying out of the rejection pile." I wasn't very impressed with the first chapter however, it seems to me that if you are serious about having a book published you would already know that you shouldn't send in a manuscript that was worn or dirty. I think that the advice on how to find a publisher or agent and how to approach them seemed like the most useful part of the chapter but even that also felt like common sense to me. Lukeman even acknowledges that starting with presentation is "nearly offensive." But on the other hand being that this is sort of an instruction manual for how to get ones work published, I can see that this chapter could be useful. Just because Lukeman's advice here seems unnecessary to me perhaps not all writers are aware of the advice he is giving.

I also wanted to return to King for a bit, I haven't finished On Writing yet but I felt like commenting on two things: one, the part about plot I found interesting. I think it was a bit too preachy for me, everyone writes differently and just because King doesn't believe in plot doesn't mean someone can't have a plot and write a good novel. J.K. Rowling has become wildly successful on a book series which she basically had planned out before she wrote the first book. But in that section I really enjoyed the story about how he came to write Misery. I think it is so interesting to see how his mind works, to learn that the story of Misery originated from a crazy dream he had on an international flight. I think for me his personal epithets are the richest parts of the book. Not that I feel like he doesn't have valid points about the craft but sometimes I feel like he is a bit too pushy. But on the other hand, this book is supposed to be his advice on how one can become a successful writer, so if we didn't want to hear his kernels of wisdom, we wouldn't be reading it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Lauren that it seems a little obvious to say not to submit a disheveled manuscript. But it did freak me out a little to read how prejudiced Lukeman/other editors would be against a work if there was even the slightest indication that a work had been read before. What if one page just got bent by accident, forever dooming someone's work for the trash pile? That seems harsh.

    ReplyDelete