Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On Writing

Although I have read quite a number of Stephen King’s novels, reading On Writing was, in a way, more fascinating than those that I’ve read. King opens the chapter of his book by recounting his physically painful experiences as a child-the frequent visits to the ear doctor and the throat doctor and the unforgettable wiping-of-the-ass with poison ivy. Throughout the book I noticed that there’s really no bullshit. King doesn’t hide anything, even his past alcohol and drug abuses. He approaches his book with truthfulness, without any fabrication in writing. Just as he is honest in telling the readers about his personal experiences, he approaches his stories, characters, and situations with honesty.


I would say that On Writing is a combination of an autobiography and a set of practical advices on writing. As an aspiring writer, I took from the book a) not to be discouraged by rejections slips for even Stephen King went through the same thing and b) to avoid adverbs, passive voice, etc. As I finished the book, I couldn’t help but question what King is doing in this particular book on the whole. This thought brought me back to the First Forward. King points to Amy Tang’s remark: “No one ever asks about the language”(8). According to King, language is “the art and craft of telling stories on paper”(9). Throughout the book, King conveys his attempts to become a successful raconteur through writing. He is talking about language the whole time. Towards the end of the book, King writes: “I’d try to answer some of the questions I’d been asked in seminars and at speaking engagements, plus all those I wish I’d been asked…those questions about the language”(266). Now I perceive that King’s language is marked with complete honesty-no bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment