Friday, January 16, 2009

Nobody's perfect

Lukeman's introduction includes a great quote highlighting the importance of good editing. He says, "There is no such thing as a great writer; there are only great re-writers." It's nothing earth-shattering, but I found myself nodding along as I read. I agree that even if your thoughts seem to pour smoothly onto paper, it's almost always helpful to give your writing a second look. Not editing your work seems ridiculously egotistical.

This reminds me of a guy I talked to yesterday. We were at the Winter activities fair in the student center. He started to tell me he loves to write poems because his come out perfectly the first time. He mentioned that though he submits to Northeastern's literary magazine, his poems are never well received. I debated suggesting that a little revision might help his "masterpieces" not to be so misunderstood. I didn't. As Lukeman says, "All you need is the willingness to be labeled 'writer,' and with one word you are a writer." Some people too easily take this idea to heart, imagining the second they scribble something vaguely resembling a poem that it ensures a lifelong career awaits them. I didn't want to encourage him.

1 comment:

  1. Your post brings up so many thoughts I've had concerning my own writing process and what I would have to do as an editor. As a writer, I think I am, in some ways, a lot like the guy you mentioned. Not that I think all I write is a masterpiece and perfect as is, but in the way that I loathe revisiting something I've already put hours of work into. Being a strictly academic writer, I don't think this presents too much of a problem- although I would probably get a few better grades here or there if I took the time to really work through my first drafts.
    It's obviously very different when you're talking about those who write professionally or even recreational writers who hope to have their work read and appreciated by someone else. I understand the defensiveness that some people may have with their work- especially since many authors consider their writing to be somewhat similar to having a child. Once you put so many hopes and dreams into a body of work, it may be hard to take criticism from someone else. "My work, imperfect? Never!" This metaphor works both ways, because if you have a child you want him or her to be the best they can possibly be. The same should hold true for a piece of writing. As an editor, it may be hard to critique someone's work and tell them what needs to be changed. But it's entirely necessary.

    ReplyDelete